Plan your visit
Monday to Friday: 10am to dusk
Weekends and bank holidays: dawn to dusk
Under normal circumstances the Woods are open every day of the year including bank holidays, unless essential management work is being undertaken.
Planned closure dates for essential management work
- Friday 4 November 2022 - Monday 7 November 2022 inclusive
- Friday 20 January 2023 - Monday 23 January 2023 inclusive
- Friday 24 February 2023 - Monday 27 February 2023 inclusive
Walking in the Woods
- Walking in Wytham Woods requires a walking permit, these are free and the application process is simple. To apply please fill out the form on this page.
- Once you receive your permit please remember to keep it with you when you visit as you may be asked to produce it for inspection.
- Please take a moment to make yourself aware of the risk of ticks while walking in the Woods. On the majority of our paths it is unlikely that you will be bitten by a tick, but it is sensible to check your body for ticks after walking in the countryside. For further information on ticks and Lyme Disease (including advice on how to avoid being bitten, and what to do you if you are) please see this factsheet.
How to get here
Bus: The ST2 Science Transit Shuttle runs from Oxford to Wytham on an hourly basis. Visit the Thames Travel website for timetables, fares and route information.
The Number 6 bus runs from Oxford to Wolvercote, from which Wytham is a 20-25 minute walk. Visit the Oxford Bus Company website for timetable, fares and route information.
Car park: Wytham has free parking for a generous number of cars. Sat Nav users should use OX2 8QQ - please make sure that the route your Sat Nav is using takes you through Wytham Village. There is no access from the B4044.
Bicycles are not allowed in Wytham Woods. Please leave them in the car park.
Cycling: There is a cycle path from Botley which you can use to get to the Woods. We have secure bike racks at both Botley Lodge car park, and the Main car park.
Directions: Take the turning next to the White Hart and then turn right onto the private road. Keep going up the hill until you reach the car park on the left.
A smaller car park can also be found at Botley Lodge (OX2 9BQ).https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d19751.038600836215!2d-1.3356350954445635!3d51.7718040994737!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x4876c5c26db3dbe7%3A0xda96126cee305f24!2sWytham%2C+UK!5e0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1490194530719
Wheelchair users can request gate combination numbers to ease access into the Woods. Powered wheelchairs can access the main woodland track. Please email email@example.com to arrange this.
Please note that dogs are not allowed in the Woods, with the exception of working assistance dogs.